Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How can I begin exercising if I have never exercised before?

I am 18 years old and I want to start exercising. I am not obese but I feel if I do not have exercise in my life, I could become that way. BUT! I have no idea where to start! I don't want to join a gym: I would feel very intimidated by all of the other patrons. I just don't know where to start!
Answer:
Well just find some where in you house with enough floor space and begin stretching! It will help loosen muscles and make you more flexable. Start slow then move up! Walking is also nice. If anything you can just turn up the stereo and dance along to the music! That is a great workout!
walking is always excellent, start at you r pace
Walking is the easiest way to begin. Start by walking at a fairly brisk pace for 15 minutes. I worked my way up to an hour very quickly.
You'd be surprised on how helpful gym personnel are. You must let them know that you haven't used equipment and are not to working out. They can guide you through the equipment and make recommendations for "beginners" -they have a bunch of beginner cardio classes! You might like the social atmosphere as well! But at home, walking, riding a bike, jumping rope, running, cardio tapes...there a ton of resources; magazines and internet!
Walk an hour each day at a moderate pace.This, in conjunction with a truly healthy diet, is really all you need for optimum health. Also, the body was designed to walk. I believe that you will find daily walks to be good for your mind as well (stress reliever, etc.).
If you have weights or if you can invest in some dumbells that would be a good start. Isometric exercises can have dramatic results if you do them correctly, and you dont need any equipment to do these exercises, just your body. Dumbells would be a very good investment though. Below is a link that will take you to a database of workouts. I do isometric exercise on my pectorals(just pressing my palms together) and have had good results I can literally feel them growing each day.
Walking has got to be one of the easiest ways to burn calories but you have keep the pace up to make you sweat. I walk to work everyday, its a 14 minute walk if I go at a reasonable pace and if I walk that SAME distance but in only 10 minutes I was sweating and my heartrate was up and apparently burns almost twice as many calories, TWICE as many calories with the SAME distance and LESS time!!!!If walking around town isnt really feasible and If you have access to a treadmill USE IT!!
They best way is to start speed walking. it is really effective in burning calories and toning your leg muscles. You can do it anywhere and it is free. On cold rainy days take it to the mall. Speed walking is better than running or jogging as it is easier on your joints and you can do if for a longer period of time. Going for a speed walk in the morning gets your motablism working sooner and it gives you extra energy that will last through the day. I hope this helps. Good luck and Good health to you.
if your fat, say your fat. fatasss. as for excersising, you never cared before, why start now, i say eat all you can, and get even fatter, thats what i'd do. chunky butt.
I definitely agree with the people who have said walking, If you're going somewhere relatively close to where you live, leave a few minutes early and walk instead of drive. Try to make a point to walk for at least 15 minutes every day, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel! Oh, and make sure you get good walking shoes, otherwise your feet might start to hurt and you won't want to/won't be able to keep doing it.
Or get a bike, and do the same thing as I said about walking but you can go a bit faster so you can get to somewhere a bit farther away in the same ammount of time.
You also could try taking a dance or karate class, if you want something slower try tai chi. The most important thing is to find something you enjoy, because that's the only way you'll have the motivation to continue doing it.
My first step was to get an MP3 player so that I have motivating music. Then, plan a route, and go for 2 to 3 half-hour walks a week (for the first few weeks). Try to go in the morning, or at least in daylight, for safety reasons. After the first few weeks, make the walks 10 to 15 minutes longer, or add in an extra 1 or 2 walks per week. Continue to progress by adding extra minutes or extra walk.
Buy some stretchy bands or some weights and start doing weight training. Look online for exercises...www.shape.com, www.fitnessmagazine.com, www.self.com all have really good strength-training tips. Start slow so that you don't get too tender. Make sure you check with your doctor first so that you know you are in good shape to begin exercising. Good luck!
Just like the majority, I would agree in saying that walking would be the way to go. Start at your own pace, and just build from there.
I lost 105 pounds in 6 months. Here is how I did it.
1. Every morning get up and walk for 45 minutes. You can start with less time, but you want to get up to 45 minutes, and it must be fast walk. You want your heart rate to go up. It must be in the morning, it kick starts your metabolism.
2. I cut out Red Meat, and fatty foods. Boneless skinnless chicken breast, baked, or grilled, rice and vegetables (steamed).
3. Eat half. Just eat half of what you normally eat. Put 1/2 on your plate, and put the rest away. Cook less. When you go to fast food, get salads only. Or grilled chicken. No fries, only diet soda. Or water.It will work, once you get into a routine, you will get hooked on the results, and you will keep the routine. It has been over a year for me. Also start counting your calories. Write them down. You would be amazed as to how much more aware you are of your caloric intake, if you actually write it down. We recently discovered a site that offers a great program that counts calories, as well as keeps track of everything. It allows multiple users, so everyone in the family can keep track. They offer a free 7 day trial, and so far I am very impressed with the product. Try the 7 days and see. It allows you to add the exercise that you do during the day, which increases the amount of calories you can take in. Very Cool!!
http://www.calorieking.comA sight with some really cool diet calculators and interesting calorie counting calculators is here. Check it out.
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/...Check out my before and after pic at my yahoo 360 page
http://profiles.yahoo.com/gorillamyke...Stay motivated, and get up and walk every day. I seriously lost all my weight starting off my day on my walk. Good LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net