Sunday, October 25, 2009

Help!, I keep pulling my calves when I got running??!!?

This week I pulled my calf twice while running. I stretch thoroughly before I run, especially my calves and ankles. I am 35 years old. I used to lift weights regularly and realized that I rarely ever would pull my calves when I went running. Now, that it has been over a year since I stopped lifting (mainly because there was no gym in my area) and just started back into running I have been pulling my calves much more frequently.Advice from a seasoned runner would be appreciated.Thanks.
Answer:
When you lift, you put weight on your calves and it helps prepare them for strenuous activity such as running. When you stopped lifting, your calves became more prone to pulls, tears, and rips. Begin doing squats, lunges, and calf raises before you work out just to help stretch the muscle out before. This will help out a lot. I ran track in high school and these methods always helped with my calves. = )
It might have something to do with your potassium intake, so eat a banana and see if that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net